Thursday 26 May 2011

The Taste of Freedom


This note was the positive reinforcement I had pinned to my fridge to keep me sane through the last week of my degree. I think just about everything that could have gone wrong, did go wrong but nevertheless I got it all done and handed in - yay for me!

I expected to feel different as a free-woman, my first time out of education for something like 17 years -  only freedom didn't taste as sweet as I'd expected. Although slogging away at my dissertation and portfolio sucked, it appears to have been a distraction from thinking about what I would do once it was over. Now it's over and I don't know what to do. I had a revelation this year that the old "what do you want to be when you grow up..." is a load of baloney. Because your career isn't who you are, it shouldn't define you, it's just what you have to do in order to be the person you want to be. So I have a degree in Film (hopefully) but I don't want to make gasquillions of money as a hot shot director, maybe I'll use my degree to make some expose documentary about human rights, or maybe I won't use it at all.

So now I'm learning to just be. Whatever that is. Considering doing my yoga teacher training course next year, trying to think of some way I can relate that to my Film degree. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment